Friday, November 30, 2018

Post-Hospital Update

Thursday was my two week post-hospital followup visit with my Team.  The reason I was in the hospital is that the upper lobe of my right lung had collapsed for the second time. The first tine it collapsed, it re-inflated during a bronchoscopy. The second time it collapsed we couldn't get the issue resolved during my hospital stay and I came home with the very good possibility that this was my new normal.

My home therepy included a 60mg prednisone taper, three weeks of oral antibiotics and using an incentive spirometer.

During the two weeks following my hospitalization my home pulmonary function testing (PFT) results improved to my pre-collapse capacity and I feel much better.  I was looking forward to seeing my X-rays and wasn't too surprised to find that my lung has done a good job of recovering.  It's not fully inflated, and you can tell that there are issues, but it is much better than when I left the hospital.  We still don't have a good explanation for why it collapses, or why it has re-inflated.  Our working theory at the moment is that during a transition off of an antifungal mediation my immunosuppressant medication levels got out of balance for a few days resulting in a rejection episode.

Visually, the tissue in that area is more white than pink indicating to the Team reduced blood flow to that lobe. My next annual series of testing is in January. The VQ scan should have some interesting results.

My current plan is to monitor the issue.  I continue to perform daily PFT's (as should all lung transplant recipients) and will be having chest X-rays every 2 weeks or so for awhile.

On a side. and likely related note, the Doc mentioned that my chest muscles on the right side are shrinking.  He's not sure why atrophy is only on that side, more interesting stuff.

I couldn't find an image of an X-ray similar to mine, so here's one of me trying on a silly Christmas jacket.


12/5/18 - X-ray results from my visit: 

1. Right upper lobe bronchiectasis and partial collapse, with probable improvement in aeration since 11/13/2018. 

 2. Prior densities in the left lower lung field have also improved.

"Improve..." used twice in one reading.

2 comments:

  1. Oh John! Sorry to hear you are having these issues, especially at this time of year! Glad to hear that the lungs seem to be recovering pretty well. I'm sure it is due to your great care of yourself. Happy season to you; I do drop in to keep up with how you are doing occassionally....

    ReplyDelete