Monday, August 3, 2020

The Roller Coaster Ride That is 2020

January 1st was the 5th anniversary of my life with new lungs. Celebrating 5 years of a wonderful life that I wouldn't have without the wonderful gift offered by my donor family, the ongoing skill and care of my Transplant Team, and the grace of our Lord.

This chart of my lung function over the past 5 years is a good visual diary of my life with new lungs.


Since January 1st, 2020 has been one heck of a roller coaster ride. Seriously, we've been up, down and all around.

January started our nice enough. The main thing I was worried about was monitoring the flu season and doing the routine things I do to avoid the flu. My lungs were doing very well, the ECP Clinical Trial I'm participating in seemed to be effective.  My lung function had stabilized and I was feeling good.

Near the end of January came the first steep drop on the the roller coaster, I had a Pulmonary Embolism. This was my 1st ambulance ride to the hospital, and ended up being my 3rd trip to the UTSW ICU. We caught the PE early so that there was no permanent damage to my lungs or heart. We have my blood thinner dose lined out and other than the fact that I get bruised by a strong breeze and  bleed a bit excessively when cut, I'm fully recovered from that little event.

I was back to feeling good when my blood pressure and pulse dropped to pretty low levels.  This time the ambulance was hesitant to go all the way into Dallas, but after a call from my team and the fact that they got me stabilized, I did end up back at my home away from home, the 10th floor of UTSW.  This trip was due to a mineral imbalance and dehydration. I was also having a lot of PVC's at the time.  We got that lined out, changed my supplements and boosted my water intake up to 3-4 liters/day. That's a lot of water.  The water really helped my kidneys (stage 3 CKD due to meds) and dropped my Creatinine levels. A side effect of all that water is that my legs are now a bit swollen.

After we got that issue lined out, I was feeling really good. As a matter of fact I was feeling better than I had in a long time. I was enjoying that ride to the top of the roller coaster. Then in June I was back to the hospital.  This time my blood pressure was high and I couldn't get it under control with my normal meds. It took a few days in the hospital to get things back under control. The trigger of this episode may have been a Rhinovirus.  Yeah, a stinking cold. That's the direction we went and I was back home and once again feeling good.

I've had a couple more episodes of higher blood pressure, but my Team has given me the tools to address this issue. I now have the ability to take an EKG at home and this tool gives me a lot of comfort when things just don't feel right.  With everything I am able to monitor, I can usually identify and address minor issues quickly.

Last week I did a Barium Swallow Test to ensure that my swallower was still working, it is.  I was also finally able to get in to see my Dermatologist.  I had been seeing my Dermatologist once every 3 months.  Last October we decided to go 6 months between visits over Winter, then COVID restrictions hit and my appointment got pushed back to last week. There were a few spots that needed frozen off, and one spot that required a biopsy.  The biopsy indicates that I have a Squamous Cell Carcinoma that will have to be removed.  Not a major issue and we'll get it taken care of soon.

Some good news for the year is that I have completed the ECP Clinical Trial and am now getting monthly Extracorporeal Photophereses treatments as maintenance.  ECP does not cure or reverse chronic rejection, but it does seem to have paused it for awhile.  My pulmonary function has been stable for 2020.  That is an awesome achievement for a lung transplant recipient who has Chronic Lung Allograft Dysfunction (CLAD) BOS3.  The 'BOS3' just means that I've lost more than 50% of my highest post-transplant lung function.  We've worked hard to get me to this point, and I really appreciate all that my Team has done to help keep me healthy.

As 2020 continues on, I'm sure the roller coaster ride will continue with it's dramatic highs and rapid drops.  Just so long as we end up near where we started, we'll be alright.

We do need to get a handle on stopping the spread of COVID-19. We almost had it under control, then came Memorial Day, and that's the day that the United States pretty much said "Screw it, time to party".  All organ transplant recipients are in the "High Risk" demographic for COVID-19, lung transplant recipients especially so.

Please wear a mask when you are around people you don't live with.

Please maintain some distance from people you don't live with.  6 feet is an easy distance to visualize and is within easy talking distance from your friends.

Please wash your hands after touching something that people you don't live with have touched.

Getting everyone on board with doing these three simple things would go a long ways toward slowing the spread of this disease and saving lives.

3 comments:

  1. John, I'm sorry your 2020 has been such a wild ride, but am gkad to see you are still hanging in there! It's been a while since we connected with MDA,. Glad I found this and know you are still going strong!
    -Tigs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tigs, really nice to hear from you. The cool thing about roller coaster rides is the thrill you experience in the fun parts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL there is that! It has been a ride for everyone this year, but you are , as always, going strong and staying positive. -Tigs

    ReplyDelete