Tuesday, November 22, 2016

TSC Training Program Week in Review - Week 1

It is Day 6 of the first week of my Tactical Strength Challenge (TSC) training program.  Day 6 is "Rest and Evaluate" day.
The TSC includes three movements:
  • A max powerlifting deadlift (three attempts) 
  • Pull ups for max reps (palms forward, no kipping, neck must touch the bar) 
  • Kettlebell snatches for max reps in a 5:00 time period.
Up until last week, it had been decades since I performed a barbell deadlift, and hadn't ever done a kb snatch. So I went to my coach, found my deadlift program weight and learned the snatch, kinda sorta. I also worked out my training program for the time leading up to the competition. 

It's only Week 1, and I've already made modifications to the program.

First modification was my deadlift weight.  I was supposed to lift 105 lbs on Day 1 and 115 lbs on Day 4.  I don't own a set of plates and could only afford one pair at the moment. So I picked up a pair of 35# plates and lifted 115 lbs both days.  

My next modification was the timing between sets of snatches.  I need to wait until I'm more comfortable with the movement before I start worrying about doing sets at the top of the minute.  My snatch leaning curve is pretty steep, thanks to all of the kettlebell one-hand swings I've done.  I'm really glad that I waited until I had a very strong foundations in swings before starting the snatch.

And finally, I planned on doing my pull up progressions with the lightest assistance band, the Orange Band from Rogue Monster Bands. It is the #0 band with 15 lbs of resistance. I didn't have that band yet so started the week with the Red #1 band with 30 lbs resistance.  I'll start with the lighter band this week.

So what's the plan for the next two weeks?



TSC Plan – Week 2
Day 1 –
  • ·         Deadlift – 3, 3, 2, 2 @ 115 lbs
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/deadlift – 3,2,1,1 w/orange band
  • ·         1-hand swings - 10 x 10 @ 32 kg
  • ·         TGU’s - 5 x 1 @ 20 kg

Day 2 –
  • ·         Goblet Squats – 5 x 5 @ 24 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/GS – 3,2,1,1 w/orange band
  • ·         Snatches – 6R 6L OTM for 7 minutes 16 kg

Day 3 –
  • ·         Prying Goblet Squats – 1 x 5 @ 16 kg
  • ·         Halo – 1 x 5 @ 20 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/above 3,2,2,1 w/orange band

Day 4 –
  • ·         Deadlift – 5 x 2 @ 125 lbs
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/deadlift – 3.3.2.1 w/orange band
  • ·         1-hand swings - 10 x 10 @ 32 kg
  • ·         TGU’s – 5 x 1 @ 20 kg

Day 5 –
  • ·         Goblet Squats – 5 x 5 @ 24 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/GS – 4, 3, 2, 1 w/orange band
  • ·         Snatches – 5R 5L TOM for 7 minutes 16 kg

Day 6 –
  • ·         Rest and evaluate.




TSC Plan – Week 3
Day 1 –
  • ·         Deadlift – 3, 3, 2, 2 @ 125 lbs
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/deadlift – 4,3,2,1,1 w/orange band
  • ·         1-hand swings - 10 x 10 @ 32 kg
  • ·         TGU’s - 5 x 1 @ 20 kg

Day 2 –
  • ·         Goblet Squats – 5 x 5 @ 24 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/GS – 4,3,2,2,1 w/orange band
  • ·         Snatches – 7R 7L OTM for 7 minutes 16 kg

Day 3 –
  • ·         Prying Goblet Squats – 1 x 5 @ 16 kg
  • ·         Halo – 1 x 5 @ 20 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/above 4,3,3,2,1 w/orange band

Day 4 –
  • ·         Deadlift – 5 x 2 @ 135 lbs
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/deadlift – 4.4.3.2.1 w/orange band
  • ·         1-hand swings - 10 x 10 @ 32 kg
  •  -        TGU’s – 5 x 1 @ 20 kg
Day 5 –
  • ·         Goblet Squats – 5 x 5 @ 24 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/GS – 5,4, 3, 2, 1 w/orange band
  • ·         Snatches – 6R 6L TOM for 7 minutes 16 kg

Day 6 –
  • ·         Rest and evaluate
As you probably noted, I left in the Top Of the Minute goal with the snatch sets. That's pretty much there to remind me to keep the pace up.

Week 1 went very well.  I do have a little forearm bruising from learning the snatch, but that will be resolved with improving form.  I didn't overdo it, didn't hurt myself and only had a little stiffness from learning new movements.

Looking forward to this next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment