Monday, November 28, 2016

TSC Training Program Week in Review - Week 2

Week 2 of my Tactical Strength Challenge Training Plan is in the books.  It is the day to 'Rest and Evaluate'.


The next TSC will be held in April and includes three movements:
  • A max powerlifting deadlift (three attempts) 
  • Pull ups for max reps (palms forward, no kipping, neck must touch the bar) 
  • Kettlebell snatches for max reps in a 5:00 time period.
The training program I am following has been developed to help people get ready for this competition.

The week went very well. My deadlift form is improving with each set, as are my kettlebell snatches.

I find it interesting how deadlifts affect my kb swings.  I wouldn't have thought that 10 total deadlifts would make my swings feel so heavy, but they do.  I was thinking that starting this program would set me back a bit on my path to achieve the Simple standard of Simple & Sinister. I'm sure that is not going to happen now

My Turkish Get Ups felt strong this week so I started progressing back to 24 kg.

The snatch sets are x snatches with my left hand, switch hands then x snatches with right. Set the kettlebell down for rest, then repeat.  The goal is to start the sets at the top of the minute, every minute.  It is going to take awhile to compress the time down to 1 min/set.  I've been having some issues with decreasing lung capacity over the past month, getting that lined out should help.  My form is really improving in this movement and I'm not beating up my forearms at the top of the movement.

Pull ups are still a sticking point. I used the orange assist band (#0) this week, but had to incorporate the red (#1) band in to finish a couple of the sets. I'm going to reset to Week 1 of the pull up progression for next week and get these down.

I'm half tempted to start progressing the Goblet Squats to 32 kg, but will wait a bit on that one. I'll leave the swings and squats alone while I'm learning and progressing in these new movements.

I am really thankful that I built a strong foundation with swings before starting this program,having a strong swing has really helped with the new movements.

The Plan for the next couple of weeks:



TSC Plan – Week 3
Day 1 –

·         Deadlift – 3, 3, 2, 2 @ 125 lbs
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/deadlift – 3,2,1,1 w/orange band
  • ·         1-hand swings - 10 x 10 @ 32 kg
  • ·         TGU’s - 1 x 1 @ 20 kg, 2 x 1 @ 24 kg, 2 x 1 @ 20 kg
Day 2 –
  • ·         Goblet Squats – 5 x 5 @ 24 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/GS – 3,2,1,1 w/orange band
  • ·         Snatches – 7R 7L OTM for 7 sets, shoot for OTM - 16 kg
Day 3 –
  • ·         Prying Goblet Squats – 1 x 5 @ 16 kg
  • ·         Halo – 1 x 5 @ 20 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/above 3,2,2,1 w/orange band
Day 4 –
  • ·         Deadlift – 5 x 2 @ 135 lbs
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/deadlift – 3,3,2,1 w/orange band
  • ·         1-hand swings - 10 x 10 @ 32 kg
  • ·         TGU’s – 1 x 1 @ 20 kg, 3 x 1 @ 24 kg, 1 x 1 @ 20 kg
Day 5 –
  • ·         Goblet Squats – 5 x 5 @ 24 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/GS – 4, 3, 2, 1 w/orange band
  • ·         Snatches – 6R 6L TOM for 7 sets, shoot for OTM - 16 kg
Day 6 –
  • ·         Rest and evaluate.

TSC Plan – Week 4
Day 1 –
  • ·         Deadlift – 3,3,2,2 @ 135 lbs
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/deadlift – 4,3,2,1,1 w/orange band
  • ·         1-hand swings - 10 x 10 @ 32 kg
  • ·         TGU’s - 1 x 1 @ 20 kg, 4 x 1 @ 24 kg
Day 2 –
  • ·         Goblet Squats – 5 x 5 @ 24 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/GS – 4,3,2,2,1 w/orange band
  • ·         Snatches – 8R 8L OTM for 7 sets, shoot for OTM - 16 kg
Day 3 –
  • ·         Prying Goblet Squats – 1 x 5 @ 16 kg
  • ·         Halo – 1 x 5 @ 20 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/above 4,3,3,2,1 w/orange band
Day 4 –
  • ·         Deadlift – 5 x 2 @ 145 lbs
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/deadlift – 4,4,3,2,1 w/orange band
  • ·         1-hand swings - 10 x 10 @ 32 kg
  • ·         TGU’s – 5 x 1 @ 24 kg
Day 5 –
  • ·         Goblet Squats – 5 x 5 @ 24 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/GS – 5,4, 3, 2, 1 w/orange band
  • ·         Snatches – 7R 7L TOM for 7 sets, shoot for OTM - 16 kg
Day 6 –
  • Rest and evaluate.
More on the Tactical Strength Challenge

3 comments: