Saturday, December 10, 2016

TSC Training Program Week in Review - Week 3

It took a bit longer than expected to get Week 3 in the books.  I've been having some issues with declining lung function and the Team ordered a Bronchoscopy with biopsy.  I had to take a few days off after that procedure to recover and make sure I didn't cause any issues.



The next TSC will be held in April and includes three movements:
  • A max powerlifting deadlift (three attempts) 
  • Pull ups for max reps (palms forward, no kipping, neck must touch the bar) 
  • Kettlebell snatches for max reps in a 5:00 time period.
The training program I am following has been developed to help people get ready for this competition.

Pull up progressions are proving more challenging than expected.  I'm going to give it one more week before I decide to change pull up programs.  

Deadlifts are progressing well.  My last workout was with the 43# plates.  A larger diameter plate did make it easier to maintain better form at the bottom of the movement.  I do still have work to do on form, but it is improving with each set of practice.

I've modified the snatch protocol just a bit to better support my current abilities.  The protocol is to do sets of snatches on the minute (OTM). Each set is considered as the program number of reps with one hand, switch hands and repeat.  That was kicking my rear.  Yesterday I did sets by switching hands OTM. I did 6 reps with my left hand, sat the kb down, then did reps with my right hand OTM.  I repeated OTM until I got in the 7 sets with each hand.  It wasn't easy, but it was doable.  I'll work on compressing the time when I'm conditioned enough to do sets of 10 with each hand OTM.

The Turkish Get Up is a beautiful movement that takes focus and skill to perform safely, especially with heavier weights.  The day I received my CT results was not a good day to do get ups.  It was in the low 30's outside, the kettlebells were cold, and I was distracted.  I almost dropped the 24 kg 'bell so cut that workout short.  Other than that one day, get ups are progressing nicely.

The next two weeks:



TSC Plan – Week 4

Day 1 –·         Deadlift – 3,3,2,2 @ 135 lbs
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/deadlift – 3,2,1,1 w/orange band
  • ·         1-hand swings - 10 x 10 @ 32 kg
  • ·         TGU’s - 1 x 1 @ 20 kg, 4 x 1 @ 24 kg
Day 2 –·         Goblet Squats – 5 x 5 @ 24 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/GS – 3,2,1,1 w/orange band
  • ·         Snatches – 8L then 8R OTM for 7 sets - 16 kg
Day 3 –·         Prying Goblet Squats – 1 x 5 @ 16 kg
  • ·         Halo – 1 x 5 @ 20 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/above 3,2,2,1 w/orange band
Day 4 –·         Deadlift – 5 x 2 @ 145 lbs
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/deadlift – 3,3,2,1 w/orange band
  • ·         1-hand swings - 10 x 10 @ 32 kg
  • ·         TGU’s – 5 x 1 @ 24 kg
Day 5 –·         Goblet Squats – 5 x 5 @ 24 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/GS –  4, 3, 2, 1 w/orange band
  • ·         Snatches – 7L then 7R TOM for 7 sets  - 16 kg
Day 6 –·         Rest and evaluate.

TSC Plan – Week 5

Day 1 –·         Deadlift – 3,3,2,2 @ 145 lbs
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/deadlift – 4,3,2,1,1 w/orange band
  • ·         1-hand swings - 10 x 10 @ 32 kg
  • ·         TGU’s - 5 @ 24 kg
Day 2 –·         Goblet Squats – 5 x 5 @ 24 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/GS – 4,3,2,2,1 w/orange band
  • ·         Snatches – 9L then 9R OTM for 7 sets - 16 kg
Day 3 –·         Prying Goblet Squats – 1 x 5 @ 16 kg
  • ·         Halo – 1 x 5 @ 20 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/above 4,3,3,2,1 w/orange band
Day 4 –·         Deadlift – 5 x 2 @ 155 lbs
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/deadlift – 4,4,3,2,1 w/orange band
  • ·         1-hand swings - 10 x 10 @ 32 kg
  • ·         TGU’s – 5 x 1 @ 24 kg
Day 5 –·         Goblet Squats – 5 x 5 @ 24 kg
  • ·         Pull ups superset w/GS – 5,4, 3, 2, 1 w/orange band
  • ·         Snatches – 8L then 8RL TOM for 7 sets - 16 kg
Day 6 –
  • ·         Rest and evaluate.
More on the Tactical Strength Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment