Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Update on Starting Extracorporeal Photopheresis

In my last post I mentioned that my Team wanted me to start Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP). It turns out that the Centers for Medicare and Medial Services (Medicare) will only cover this treatment for a lung transplant patient as part of a clinical trial.
CMS covers extracorporeal photopheresis (ECP) for the treatment of bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome (BOS) following lung allograft transplantation only when ECP is provided under a clinical research study...
There is one clinical trial that is reported as to not being accepting new applicants.   From what I understand, the trial has been extended and that UT Southwestern should become a study center come August.  This is the first time that Medicare has denied a procedure.  I've gotten used to Part D trying to deny my medications, but procedures is a new one for me.  I understand that most private insurances do cover this procedure with peer to peer review, but that does not work with Medicare.

Good news is that this trial is a research study and not a randomized clinical trial. The procedure works and an RCT would be unethical.

Thankfully I am relatively stable following my Thymoglobulin treatment, and I have a decent amount of lung capacity remaining, so this isn't as large an issue as it is for others in my situation.


Image found here



2 comments:

  1. Wow that really stinks! I’m happy though that you are stable. Praying that everything works out for you to join the study in August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending prayers your way from Steve and I.

    ReplyDelete