Sunday, May 29, 2016

Remembering my Donor Family

This is Memorial Day weekend and tomorrow is set aside as a day to remember those who have given everything for the defense of our country and way of life. These national heroes deserve our respect and remembrances.  I served on submarines, and tomorrow I will be especially thinking of those who lost their lives in the Silent Service.

For today though, I would like to honor my donor, and my donor family.  Without them I would not have been able to see my youngest daughter cross the University of Delaware stage and receive her diploma on Friday.


I was not able to attend in person, but watching a live webcast was still pretty awesome.  I was able to let her know just how proud of her I am and to be a part of her special day.  While at a family get together last Thanksgiving, her boyfriend took me asked if he could marry her.  He is a great guy and I am so excited for them both.

Without the lifesaving gift of my new lungs, I would not have been a part of either of these milestones in my daughter's life.  Now I can look forward to walking her down the isle one of these days :)

My donor lost his (her?) life early in the evening on January 31st.  The holiday season will never be the same for my donor family.  While they were getting ready to celebrate the new year, they find out that a loved one has passed.  In the midst of this grief and heartbreak, this wonderful family made the decision to offer the gift of life to me, and to several others waiting on one transplant list or another.

This selfless gift gave me the opportunity to enjoy my daughter's graduation from college and to let her boyfriend know that I approved of their relationship.  I can be here for my other daughters when they need me, and be Papa John to our grandchildren.

My donor, and my donor family truly are Superheroes.

Do you want to be someone's Superhero?  Register to be an organ donor today.


No comments:

Post a Comment