Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Importance of Visualization

Visualization, accomplishing in the mind's eye movements or skills that cannot be performed today. Visualization has been a key part of my fitness journey.  When I learn a new skill, I read about it and watch videos from trusted sources. I imagine myself successfully performing the skill, over and over.

One example is when I first started working on body weight exercises after my transplant.  I couldn't even squat down to get dishes from the lower cabinets in the kitchen without putting a knee on the floor. I also need to grab onto the counter to stand back up.  At that time squatting to a chair was difficult, and a full range of motion squat wasn't even on my radar.  Well, it wasn't on my radar until I saw an image of Al Kavaldo doing a squat. I looked at that image every day, thought about it while doing my squat progressions, then one day achieved a full range of motion squat when working in the garden.  It took months of work, but I got it done. My posture is still not perfect, shoulders are a little forward when I'm not holding any weight, but I can comfortably do a full squat.


My posture is not perfect, as you can see, but attempting perfection has gotten me to where I am today.

What is it that you want to achieve? Can you see yourself accomplishing that goal, I mean really "See" yourself?

Give it a shot, the journey is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment