Saturday, November 19, 2016

Swinging My Way Out of a Rut - #HAWMC Day 19

This post took longer than I had expected. I ended up deleting more paragraphs than I've published. There are many things that brighten my days. Living life in appreciation of the precious gift offered by my donor family is the best defense against depression. Taking care of that gift let me to my interest in fitness, and that interest led to my answer to today's prompt.


How do I handle "tough" days? That is a question I've had to think on a bit before answering. At this point in my journey, my tough days are often more mental than physical. Comparing today's tough days, while I am still on the upslope of my post transplant health and fitness curve, to my time during the last few months pre-transplant, renders today's problems... well...it really helps define the magnitude of these issues.

I have a saying now, "Kettlebells make everything better." No matter what happens to be going in with me emotionally or physically, time spent with my kettlebells helps put things in perspective. Kettlebells demand respect. When you are swinging cannonballs, or holding them over your head, you have to pay attention. Once I begin a KB workout, the cares of the world disappear.

Henry Rollins wrote:
The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back
I've already accomplished much more than I, or my Team, ever expected. My potential is not the same as someone who's not breathing with new lungs and living on immunosuppressants.  Many people achieve my goals in 2 to 6 months, it will be at least a couple of years before I get there, if I ever do. But that's ok. Another thing Henry Rollings mentioned is that "The Iron never lies..." There is so much truth in that little statement. When I"m feeling down, or weak, or am having a hard time with the meds, I can read back through my workout logs and remind myself of what I have accomplished, then I can go swing a 'bell.

If something is really bothering me, I mention it to my IPF, Transplant, and Mark's Daily Apple community and they always seem to have the right thing to say to lighten the load.

More WEGO Health Writers Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment