Saturday, March 4, 2017

A Taste of MedX - Presentations From 2016

Stanford MedicineX is one of the most intense immersions into the future of patient centered healthcare and patient advocacy that you could imagine. Here are just a few of the awesome presentations that we experienced at the 2016 conference. I could write an entire post for each video, but it is best if I let the folks speak for themselves.

Other than Dr. Chu's opening and closing remarks, these are in no particular order. I just grabbed them off of YouTube as I came across them.  I do have to say that Dillon's presentation is one that change 'me', and that others listed here have become personal friends.

Give them a watch, this really is just a "taste of MedX"



Dr. Larry Chu - MedX 2016 Opening Remarks
Dr. Larry Chu welcomes the mainstage audience to the first day of Medicine X 2016


Dillan Barmache & Debbie Spangler: 
Everyone Included - Precision Medicine Initiative
With some aid from caregiver Debbie Spangler, ePatient Dillan Barmache discusses his experiences living with Autism and makes an appeal for revising treatment for individuals with Autism.


Terry Marlin: Fighting Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
I am 41 years old and I have been married to my wife, Sonya for 16 years. We have 2 boys, Jonah is 12 and Emory is 10. I own a small manufacturing company in Dickson, TN. where we manufacture carbide and diamond tools. Our 2 boys were diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy in 2009, which is why we started FightDMD in April of 2010. We have currently raised $750,000 to fund cardiac research at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital for kids with DMD.


Britt Johnson: Special Session - The Opioid Crisis - Presentation
Patient advocate Britt Johnson discusses her history of chronic pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis, and how taking opioids has helped her to live with that pain.


Liz Salmi: Oral Ignite
Patient advocate Liz Salmi discusses her experiences living with a brain tumor diagnosis and how her family history with the disease has informer her decisions.


Sophie Thacher: ePatient Ignite! - Healthy Enough
Sophie Thacher talks about her personal medical journey and how people can move beyond "healthy enough."


Yoko K. Sen: Artist in Residence
Yoko Sen tells the story of how her own experience in hospitals and hearing the needs of other patients led her to her work in creating better sound atmospheres for hospitals


Natalie Abbot: Sharing is Curing
ePatient scholar Natalie Abbott discusses her experience living with Moebius syndrome and the importance of a supportive community for people living with genetic conditions.


Danielle Cosgrove: TheProject3x5
...So, in short my mission is to advocate, educate, empower, and maybe even inspire those with CRPS/RSD, chronic pain, and nasty little invisible illnesses in general. Follow along at theproject3x5! Join my cause and spread the word.


Julie Cerrone: How I used social media, patient advocates, and my own research...
This presentation would talk about my health journey and how having access to my data, using my data, and fielding my “dream team” or doctor has helped me get to where I am today. My case study proves that we need precision medicine to combat these complex health issues.


Larry Chu, MD: Curtain Call & Closing Remarks
Dr. Chu delivers closing remarks commemorating the end of the Medicine X 2016 conference
There are many more wonderful presentations from MedicineX over on their YouTube Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment