Monday, January 4, 2021

Annual Exams

 January 1st marked the 6th anniversary of my lung transplant. If you want to know more about the procedure, I wrote about it here. An important part of living life with new lungs is all the monitoring we undergo to check how our lungs are doing and how the rest of our body is handling all the medications we take. Every year we have our annual examinations and I started mine today.

Today was labs (a few vials of blood and 22 results so far), two ultrasounds, a CT scan and a chest X-ray. A couple of routine tests that are normally done are being postponed this year due to COVID. This is both to minimize exposure and free up resources for more important things. I have a bone density test and the full pulmonary function test along with arterial blood gas next month.  I expect the bone density test to show more loss due to my meds, and the PFT should be similar to last year's, except for maybe DLCO.

Now, why do I expect the PFT to be similar to last year when I am in chronic rejection?  Drum roll please...  Because my CT scan indicated that my lungs are stable, with no changes from last year.

Lungs and pleura: No pleural effusion is seen. Right upper lobe collapse with underlying bronchiectasis is again seen. Stable right middle lobe volume loss noted. Stable tubular density within the lingula with associated scarring noted. Stable reticulation within the periphery of both lower lobes noted. Few scattered punctate nodular densities are stable bilaterally. Air trapping again noted. No new pulmonary lesions identified.

That result is just plain awesome. The upper lobe in my right lung collapsed 4 times in 2018 before it became permanent and the middle lobe issue occured in 2019. I'm very happy the middle lobe issue hasn't progressed and there are no indications of progressing chronic rejection. My home spirometry 0n 1/1/20 and 1/1/21 are basically the same.  If you average my spiro results from the 1st week of 2020 and average the results from the 1st week of 2021, my home spirometry has actually up just a tad. Add the CT result to my home spirometry, and it's looking like the ECP Clinical Trial I'm participating in is working. This is very exciting news for me, and for the lung transplant community. Having a potentially effective treatment for chronic rejection gives hope for many of us. 

Lung transplant chronic rejection is referred to as Chronic Lung Allograft Dysfunction (CLAD) and my subtype of CLAD is Bronchiolitis Obliterans Syndrome (BOS). My designation is CLAD stage 3, BOS. For an explanation go to Chronic lung allograft dysfunction: Definition, diagnostic criteria, and approaches to treatment



I tried to find a cool image for CLAD to post, but didn't find anything interesting so here is my chest X-Ray from last October.

No comments:

Post a Comment